Hello & Happy Summer to my College Application Families!
I hope this note finds your family enjoying summer refreshment. Our family spent a week hiking & camping out west – fun to be in the mountains!
New this week, refer a friend and you will receive a $5 Starbucks gift card via email after their first college application prep appointment. Cheers!
Please continue to connect with me online: website (https://college-prep-career-prep.com), Facebook (MichellesCollegePrepCareerPrep).
Here is your news and ideas:
1. Upcoming free group sessions (please pass along, RSVP to Machiele.firstname.lastname@example.org)
– August 7, 7:00-8:00PM, “What to Expect Your First Semester of College” for rising college freshmen
– August 22, 7:00-8:00PM, “College Application Road Ahead” for families with students in grades 9-12
2. Common Application news (https://www.commonapp.org)
There are changes in applying to college each year, and this year the Common Application has improvements that will be helpful to families.
– The Common App website will close July 27 for maintenance and open on August 1, which reflects a shortened down time this year.
– Enhancements for 2018-2019 include masking the social security number of students when advisors (including Michelle Machiele) view the application preview with student’s permission.
– The Advisor Invitation section as well as Courses & Grades section have been improved and will be easier to navigate.
– There were changes to the personal essay prompts last year; there are no changes to the prompts for 2018-19.
– 55 new member schools including Michigan State University. Over 800 colleges & universities accept the Common Application across 49 states and 19 countries.
– Last year, 1 million students submitted 5 million applications on the Common App, with 24 million recommendation forms submitted for students. Truly amazing numbers!
3. In addition to acceptances at top schools, you may recall that to date my students have received +$2.8 million in scholarship offers, with my Class of 2018 reporting $1,615,500 in scholarship offers. One additional graduate school grant was recently reported, valued at $40,000. With my own children utilizing over $250,000 in academic scholarships, it is my joy to share ideas with new families each year. Academic scholarship milestones for high school seniors to date:
– Six received offers of $100,000 per school
– Additionally, two received offers over $150,000 per school
It is an honor to walk alongside families during the college application and entrance season. Godspeed to my Class of 2018 as you enter college soon – please keep me posted on your progress.