Hello to my college apps families! Here comes October – see information below.
Keep utilizing my calendar to set appointments: https://calendly.com/machiele-m
Warm regards, Michelle
Note regarding November 1 deadlines: Did you know that it takes weeks to process your materials after you click submit? Put your best foot forward for a
- deadline of November 1, complete your applications by October 16
- deadline of Thanksgiving, complete by November 6
- deadline of Winter Break, complete by December 8
New on the Common Application – good news! An “Advisor” is a new type of recommender for your Common Application. To add Michelle Machiele as an Advisor to preview your Common Application with you, add email address Machiele.email@example.com
– If you receive support from advising and community-based organizations, you will be able to work with those counselors just as you work with your school-based counselors and teachers within the application.
– Advisors will then be able to manage their caseloads and view student progress within the Common App system.
– In addition, if you wish to do so, you will be able to share a view of your in-progress application (read-only) with your school counselor, advisor, or mentor.
– If you choose to invite an Advisor, that action will remain private. The Advisor invitation and profile information will not be visible to a your colleges or any other invited Recommender.
Transcripts Check with your high school counselors to be sure of the process for sending your high school transcripts to colleges. For example, Ann Arbor Public School high schools have families utilize Parchment to send transcripts to colleges.
Test scores Per Ann Arbor Public Schools, scores sent from Ann Arbor Public Schools are considered “unofficial.” Students are responsible for requesting official test scores be sent to the colleges to which they are applying. Scores can be sent during test registration with the testing company, or at a later time (allow 1-2 weeks for colleges to receive scores). See the testing company websites. (For SAT, go to the College Board website, click on ‘SAT tab’; SAT dropdown ‘Scores’; ‘Send Score Reports to Colleges.’)
FAFSA The FAFSA opens on October 1, 2017. From experiences with my own children receiving scholarships, colleges asked if we filled out the FAFSA before giving our children the scholarships. I encourage my families to fill out this information on the official government website. Beware of copycat websites!